1 Peter 1:11
by Don Costello

1 Peter 1:11

Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

1. "Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify"

a. Amplified Bible: "They sought [to find out] to whom or when this was to come which the Spirit of Christ working within them was indicating"

2. "when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow."

a. Jesus mentioned this to the two he was walking with on the road to Emmaus.

1). Luke 24:25-27 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

2). The "entering of Christ into his glory" refers to everything that happens after his resurrection, including the church age, the second coming and the Millennial reign. Our focus though is the church age. What does the church age have to do with Christ and His glory? Peter mentions it in the next verse.

b. This reference of "the sufferings of Christ and the glory that should follow", are scattered throughout the prophets, but a few prominent ones need to be mentioned here.

1). In Psalm 22, the first 21 verses deal with the sufferings of Christ, while verses 22-31 deal with the glory that has followed.

2). Isaiah 52:13, 14 deal with Christ sufferings, while Isaiah 52:15 mentions the glory. [See notes on Isaiah 53:15.]

3). Isaiah 53:1-11a deals with the sufferings while Isaiah 53:11b, 12 deals with the glory that should follow.

c. Peter's focus on "the glory" that follows "the sufferings of Christ",

d. There are other passages in the Old Covenant that prophesy about the Messiah that we know now refer to His first and second coming but are not revealed as such in their first mention. One example is Isaiah 61:1-4 compared with Luke 4:16-20. In that example Jesus stopped reading the passage and closed the book before the passage went into the second coming.


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print