The Deacon's Wife
by Lili Richey Willard

Cheri had always loved God. She had always believed what she read in her pearly white Bible. So why was this happening to her?

She took out the note she had found in Johnny's wallet. She had been holding on to it for three days, not knowing what she should do about it. She read it yet again.

"Can't wait to meet you at the restaurant tonight. So looking forward to it. Hope you are too! Emma."

She did not know why. Was it Johnny who was at fault? Or was it her? Was this other woman prettier than she? More exciting?

Johnny was suddenly standing before her. He was smiling big, holding a little white box with gold ribbon on it.

"Cheri, remember all the times we talked about starting our family, and that we will wait until we are financially stable ? And how we will take a cruise before , so we can simply enjoy being together before the busyness of having a baby starts?", he said excitedly.

Cheri, taken aback, quietly responded, " Of course I remember. But why bring this up now?" She couldn't figure it out. Was he trying to hurt her more?

"I have exciting news! I got the promotion! Along with it I got a bonus for the work I've done. I went and got up with Judy Tatum, the travel agent in our 'Young Couples' class. She got me a deal on that trip to Alaska we've planned. Work cleared me to take two weeks off before I start my new position, so we leave a week from today. Two weeks in Alaska!"

Cheri sat there staring. Alaska? Judy Tatum? What?

She asked ," Are you saying you met with Judy about this?" He nodded. She went on, "Did you meet at a restaurant a couple of days ago?"

Surprised, he answered, "Yes, at The Clock the other night. Joe was with her. We had coffee and she gave me the tickets and the trip info. Why?"

Judy laughed. Then she cried. It was time for confession.

"Remember when you told me to get the gas card from your wallet the other day?", she asked. He nodded.

Cheri handed him the folded note. As she did, she spoke again.

"When I opened your wallet, this fell onto the floor. I didn't snoop but it opened and I couldn't help but see what was on it. I thought you were having an affair. I've thought that for three days. I feel so ashamed. Please forgive me."

Johnny looked at the note, then he looked at his wife. She had no idea how much he adored her. His heart broke knowing what she had thought. He also realized that it was his fault. He should have told her what he was doing. He had wanted to surprise her. But he had caused her pain instead.

He looked at Cheri tenderly, and said, "There is no need for you to apologize. I wanted to surprise you. I should have told you all that was happening. I set this up, and I caused you pain. I am the one who needs to say I'm sorry, and I am. I love you more than anything, just below God. You are my life. You are the perfect deacon's wife, and I am sorry this deacon has let you down."

Johnny took his wife's hand and pulled her to her feet. He held her close. He then presented her with the white box. She opened it, and her mouth dropped open as she picked up the delicate charm. It was perfect. It was a little boat with a cross on it. What a wonderful addition to her charm bracelet.

She looked at him and said, " I am not a perfect deacon's wife. But I know that God has blessed us. Three days ago I did not go shopping. I went to the doctor. We are having our first child. I hope you are happy because when we get back from Alaska, our life is going to be a whole lot different!"

Johnny simply nodded, and smiled wide. Because he knew that she was indeed the perfect deacon's wife.

I love the LORD! I write the Rosebuds of Faith Devotional Series on my blog,ohiolilisview.blogspot.com/ and Angelwingdevotionals at angelwingdevotionals.wordpress.com/.
You can also find my work on everydaychristian.com. 

Please tune in...and blessings!

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print