Deadly Distractions
by Robert Driskell

There are so many things that pull at our attention these days.
Sports, television, video gamesit seems that we have perfected the art of wasting time. Even legitimate duties can so overwhelm us that we lose sight of the more important things in life. This busyness can be deadly to our spiritual life since it can steal our focus away from God.

The Bible cautions us to use the time we have wisely:

making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. (Ephesians 5:16 NIV)

How we spend our time affects our spiritual life and our walk with Jesus. If we invest too much of our time in worldly pursuits, our time spent with the Lord suffers. The more of the world's ideas we put in our heads, the more like the world we will become. Conversely, the more of God's Word we consume, the more we will know how He wants us to live.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2 NASB)

Christians are free in Christ to do whatever they want, as long as they are operating within the guidelines God has set forth in His Word. The Apostle Paul writes in his letter to the Corinthian Christians:
All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. (1 Corinthians 10:23 NASB)

If the activity we are contemplating is not profitable (for the advancement of God's kingdom) or edifying (for strengthening our walk with Jesus), we should not do it. As a matter of fact, if we go ahead and engage in something we aren't sure God wants us to do, we sin. Romans 14:23 says that, "whatever is not from faith is sin." (NASB)

This doesn't mean we are never to rest. Surely, there is a time and a place for relaxation in our busy lives. God even set aside one day a week for just that purpose. But even that day, the Sabbath, was set aside for resting with the idea that God would be the focal point during our time of rest.

For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a sabbath to the LORD in all your dwellings. Leviticus 23:3 (NASB)

As Christians, our overarching motivation in life, and every activity of which it consists, should be concerned with advancing the kingdom of God. Are we doing what He would have us do?

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness... Matthew 6:33 (NASB)

This Scripture and the Holy Spirit should guide how we choose to spend our time.

Seeking to introduce people to Jesus Christ and to help them become "transformed by the renewing of their mind."

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print