Can you be humble and rich?
by Marie Grossett

This was the question that was presented to me one sunny Monday afternoon.

'Yes,' was the answer I said to my friend 'especially if you're a wealthy Christian you should be even more humble, as we know not to trust in our riches but in our God.'

'What do you think?' I asked her.

'No,' she said, 'I eventually think as much as you don't mean it to your riches will take over your personality and you will become boastful and prideful. That's why I don't want to be rich.'

I did try to explain to her that it also depends on the individual whether they stay close to God after being wealthy and that shouldn't stop her wanting to be financially prosperous. Think about the financial freedom she can have and be her own boss, and how she can be a financial blessing to others.

But she remain convinced that a person who is wealthy cannot be humble so we decided to agree to disagree on this topic.

Yes it is true that some wealthy people are arrogant and prideful, but that shouldn't be so with us Christians. So how do we remain humble?

By remembering that everything belongs to God, we must remember that God entrusted us with wealth and he could easily take it away from us.

I know someone who God entrusted with 500,000, yes he was paying his tithes but he was doing one major thing that was wrong. He kept on boasting about his wealth living more extravagantly than he handle, living the fast high life and hardly coming to church.

Then recently his business completely crashed and he was left with nothing literally nothing. He blew all that money and has nothing really to show for it, now he is going to church and trying to rebuild his spiritual life, and a business in the meantime to pay the bills he has to look for work. So he has to go back to 'square one.'

Remember King Nebuchadnezzar in the book of Daniel Chapter 4:28-33. King Nebuchadnezzar boasts about his wealth thinking that he built everything himself verse 29-30 says 'he says, "Is not this great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?" But little did he know with all his boasting God was going to humble him by making him live among the wild animals eating grass until he realises that all the glory and honour belongs to God.

I'm not saying this to frighten you as a sister in the Lord I'm advising you that God gave us this wealth so we can help others and not to boast. We must not forget about him when were wealthy but remember that we need him and we are nothing without him. We couldn't have got this far without him.

Deuteronomy 8:18 'But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth,'

So can we be rich and stay humble? My answer is still yes if we do things God's way.

Thank you for reading this article God bless you.

Marie Grossett aka Vanessa Grossett is a published Author, and has interviewed best selling and award winning Christian Authors.

She is a Literary Agent at The Authors Care Services ltd. www.theauthorscare.co.uk [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print