For Goodness Sake!
by PamFord Davis

We greet one another with good morning, not realizing we are expressing a blessing upon the listener's day. At the close of the day mommies and daddies tuck in their most cherished possessions with a kiss and tender words of good night.

Employees expect a good day's work in exchange for wages. The phone rings with unexpected good news or we read an obituary of a good friend, and choke back tears as we read the eulogy describing him as a good citizen, husband and father.

What is good? The Britannica World Language dictionary includes "Satisfactory in quality or kind/ Morally excellent; virtuous/ Worthy/ Kind; benevolent/ Well behaved/ Proper; desirable/ Pleasing; agreeable/ Beneficial; salutatory/ Favorable; approving/ Skillful; proficient/ Orthodox; conforming/ Reliable; safe/ Considerable; rather great in degree/ Full, a good two miles off." These samplings reveal the casually thrown around word good carries a vast array of meanings.

Well, for goodness sake! "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21 NRS)." God the Father is good. He made his Son Jesus, the good and perfect sacrifice, to become sin. He became all that was bad and took our place at Calvary. In exchange we have the gift of becoming good, the very "righteousness of God!" Lord, we can never be good enough to earn eternal life or the fullness of your Holy Spirit; we can only lisp words of thanksgiving and praise.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print