Don't Be Fish Bait
by annie keys

One of my favorite things about God's Word is; that it doesn't "gloss over" the humanity of His children. Whether they fell or triumphed, He told of it.

When God spoke to Jonah the first time, Jonah ran away from God. Historyexplains why: Nineveh was the capital of the Assyrian Empire from 705 to 612 B.C. The Assyrians actually erected monuments to the horrible tortures performed on their enemies! (Five Great Monarchies by George Rawlinson)

It was the wickedness of Nineveh that cried out to God inciting Him to send Jonah to preach against them. (Jonah 1:1-2)Most likely, it was the knowledge that he would be torturedfor telling them they were doing wrong,that causedJonahto run instead of "go".

Sometimes, I have a difficult time 'going' to people I know, and the worst that could happen to me is rejection. Jonah ran because he was afraid he'd be skinned alive!

Never the less; God did not change His mind about Jonah being the witness to Nineveh. No matter where Jonah ran, he could not escape God's call. (Jonah 1:3-4)
God's call to ministry is never canceled.

Finally, in the slimy smelly belly of a fish, Jonah was ready to listen. (Jonah 3:1-3) Notice that once Jonah did as he was told; the entire wicked city of Nineveh repented and served God! (Jonah 3:6-10)

God has a plan for every one of us. He will reveal His plan for our lives, only when we are ready to listen. Perhaps His plan is that you serve Him with all of your heart where you 'are'. Or, maybe He has plans for you in professional ministry!

Today, it isn't fear of torture that makes us 'run'. It's simply busyness and inconvenience. Can you imagine standing before God with people like Jonah? "Sorry, God, I was just so busy with stuff"

No matter how busy you are or where you go to hide, God's plan for your life remains. Sometimes, God will even send problems and special circumstances to bring us to a place where we MUST be still and listen. (Jonah 1:17)

What is God calling you to do? Stop running and pretending like you don't hear Him. When it comes to God's plan for your life, the only question is, how long will your Lord have to wait for YOU?

Jonah 3:3 Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Nineveh.


I'm a wife, mother, a grandmother and I love to write! I'm a retired Pastor's Secretary and a former Assistant Kid's church Pastor. 

I write Children's material and devotions. I love to use 'real life', especially the exploits of children, to illustrate scriptural truth.
www.rubberontheroad.org

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print