The Old Is Better
by Gary J. Borgstede

Scripture

Luke 5:38-39 "But new wine must be put into new wineskins, and both are preserved. And no one, having drunk old wine, immediately desires new; for he says, 'The old is better.'"

Observation

In these passages of Scripture, we see the Lord teaching his disciples about the making of wine. He explains that new wine must be put into new wineskins otherwise the old wineskins would burst and the new wine would be lost. He then shares the fact that old wine is in fact better than new wine because of the aging process.

Application

This process for making wine illustrates the process that we go thru in maturing as a Christian. Once we are born again, we must take off the old man and put on the new man because old things have past away and all things have become new. As we mature and grow in Christ, God sanctifies us in Him with the tests and trials of life helping to "age" us in faith and spiritual maturity. Once we are born again and our lives have grown in faith and maturity, even through failure, the aged wine of our lives gained through the maturing process can never be put into a new wineskin again and the aged wine gained through our growing life experience is far superior than when we were first born again. We are born again with salvation once and never again. From that time forward we begin to age and mature with the aged wine of our lives always becoming better in God even if we have failed Him along the way.

Prayer

Lord, thank You for loving me so much that You gave Your life for me and have never given up on me. As I walk through life, I welcome Your Holy Spirit to teach me, lead me, and correct me that I may become sanctified in Christ. I love you Jesus!

The Old Is Better Copyright 2010, Gary J. Borgstede. You have permission to reprint the personal devotion, The Old Is Better, in its entirety only, and forward to your colleagues and friends, provided the copyright notice remains part of the reprint and transmission. All other rights reserved.

Gary J. Borgstede is the published author of the leadership books titled, The Make It Happen Journey and Kings Come Forth, as well as the faith-based leadership education blog at www.makeithappenmoment.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print