Devastation and Despair
by PamFord Davis

Tragedy has no answers; bad things happen and we remain to pick up the pieces. Americans will remember Wednesday, April 29, 2011 as a day of devastation and despair. Tornadoes plowed across several southern states like childhood spinning tops whirling out of control. Brutal winds twisted buildings and tore cities apart; those who witnessed its might find it nearly impossible to describe.

People of faith do not need all the answers; we simply call upon God for strength and comfort. The Book of Job reminds us we are not the first to experience the loss of lives and destruction of property caused by ferocious winds. Job's children gathered in the home of his eldest son; family life would never be the same. Calamity followed calamity. (Job 2:13-18) A storm sealed their destiny.

Desert winds blew their house down, killing all of Job's children. How could he face another day? "Then Job got up and tore his clothes in grief. He shaved his head and threw himself face downward on the ground. He said, 'I was born with nothing, and I will die with nothing. The Lord gave, and now he has taken away. May his name be praised?' In spite of everything that had happened, Job did not sin by blaming God (Job 2:20-22 TEV)."

Job grieved; he experienced great loss and outwardly expressed his sorrow. In humility and reverence, he expressed his unwavering faith in God. He did not allow himself to sink to self-pity, he instead picked praise; Job did not blame God. "Father, we do not understand why storms destroy personal property and take the lives of so many. Send the Comforter among us."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print