The Striving Tree
by Erin Dijkema

The tree of the rainforest floor basking in the splattered sunlight,
Waiting for its time to grow as those it looks up to daily
While trying its hardest to grasp the light coming through the shadows;
Will it ever become a strong presence? A sign of magnificence?
Everyday, every season, it pushes and strives for the light and water
But is it its purpose to provide shade to all the rest, to outlast,
To overlook all the forest, giving hope and protection for the weak?
The tree, perhaps meant for this, must still wait patiently.
It cannot push, it cannot strive for that which is not natural, not planned.
Not one creature, plant or human being can grow faster, can change its being.
One can change their intake of the world to effect the process, but the Will,
The ever present Will, will not only ensure greatness but define it for each.
Each tree, each individual has a personal meaning for greatness, defined for them.
Raising branches to the sky and nothing else, happiness can abide.
But also in the shade of those given that purpose, resides those also full.
Full of purpose, happiness and satisfaction. Full of determination, provision and trust.
Can a tree meant to protect and feed the lonely on the ground, change its being,
With simple strength, stubbornness and desire, and still enjoy survival?
Purpose may change, the Will may change; but the tree can only live in the moment,
Growing, waiting for a need and waiting for guidance; the tree acquiescently listens.
No aim for gaining access to full sunlight, content in its purpose, it does not change,
Does not envy the seemingly excess of beauty in those above it. Nature cannot protest.
But us, do we ever enjoy striving and complaining, protesting our place in the world.
We trust God will bring us to greatness in His name, but do we realize the definition
Placed in front of each one of us? Is the definition of greatness a buffet
of meanings taken from greed, envy, pride, self-righteousness; spread out, marketed?
Greatness has been judged, critiqued and defined mechanically for universal purposes.
Only the One who is truly great can define it in the light of Truth.

Written by Erin Dijkema. A recent graduate from Redeemer University College, I have lived most of my life in a small town called Athens,ON. A church participant all my life, I have just recently was blessed to be baptized in His Church. 
 Email: [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print