Simple Remedies
by PamFord Davis

Mom and Dad always gave me what I needed for injuries and ailments; the door to cabinets or the refrigerator opened the way to remedies and relief. They treated upset stomachs with Pepto Bismol, ginger ale or ginger tea and if I could keep it down, dry or milk toast. If I had a head or backache they doled out St. Joseph baby aspirin, I stepped up to Bayer when I got older. Colds and coughs meant I would need frequent doses of Vicks cough syrup, Smith Brothers cough drops, chest rubs with Vicks or camphorated oil and a vaporizer at night. Dad brought football shaped throat lozenges home from the General Electric nurse's office to sooth my sore throats and the sting of cuts and scratches was eased with Mercurochrome or salve.

Children trust their parents; mommy and daddy will make it all better. The last remedy mentioned, salve is thought provoking. We use salves to soothe and promote healing. A less familiar term is balm. The Bible contains information about travelers from Gilead, dealers in spices, myrrh and balm. (Genesis 37:25) Medicines are always in demand. Man seeks healing ; he is willing to try almost anything to relieve discomfort. The Prophet Jeremiah mourned for his nation Israel. "For the hurt of the daughter of my people I am hurt. I am mourning; Astonishment has taken hold of me. Is there no balm in Gilead, Is there no physician there? Why then is there no recovery For the health of the daughter of my people (Jeremiah 8:21-22 NKJ)?" The Great Physician waits to dispense holy salve, "salvation"; no appointment is required!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print