Cleaning out the Closets
by PamFord Davis

There is still time to begin spring-cleaning; admit it you procrastinate. The enormity of the job overwhelms me. I can handle small projects if I put my mind to it; spring-cleaning implies my whole house. Ouch! I'm not quite up to that today. I remember those yearly events woven into movies and television; mother covered her hair with a bandanna, tied on a frayed apron, and went to work. She enlisted the aid of children to sweep, scrub and wax floors, and clean windows inside and out. Dust filled the air and lungs if you had the chore of beating the rugs across the clothesline.

Cleaning clothes closets is not a job of choice, yet there is a sense of accomplishment when I can close the door without something falling on my head. We are God's house; he abides within the hearts of those who trust him. It is time to discard some clothes that no longer fit me or compliment my coloring; I need to select new clothes with care. "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness (Ephesians 4:22-24 NIV)."

Full-length mirrors leave little room for doubt; I wish the image were kinder, but I have to accept it, the reflection I see is mine. That is also the reality of scripture; God's inspired word is a mirror of who and what I am. I want to grow be controlled by the Holy Spirit and radiate with the love, compassion and holiness of Jesus. I, like most moms, have memories of smoothing down wayward hair on a child and doing a last minute inspection of face and clothes before a photographer takes a portrait Am I willing to step back and take a fresh look at myself in preparation for spiritual spring-cleaning?

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print