Not Looking For a Handout
by PamFord Davis

Crutch here, didn't catch your name; I have an identical twin balanced right below that arm across the way. I sense you feel uneasy about the one who accompanies us. I know he is not much to look at, shabby clothes and in desperate need of a shower and shave. I admit his B.O. is offensive. He's no bother to anyone here at this festival, just passing through, not begging for a handout, but grateful for a helping hand.

People are swarming around like bumblebees on a spring meadow. They don't pay much attention to us. Good, getting a rest. Our escort just sat down on a bench and propped us up in a precarious spot against a magnolia tree. Oops, took a tumble! That little boy with sticky cotton candy hands is in a big hurry to get to carnival rides, glad he didn't hurt himself when he tripped over me.

A man stopped to chat, gave my poor ole' friend a handout of folded cash, said sometimes we all need a break. Nice breeze coming off the lake, wish we could stay around here. What's the buzz? It is almost a whisper. A white haired man is next to me with his head bowed low speaking to his Father above. He is praying for my friend and tucking a gospel tract in the smelly shirt pocket.

Yup, met some nice folks at the lake yard yesterday. A few people were cruel; most just ignored us.


Onlookers are appalled as we make our way through double doors into First Baptist Church. Big crowd, stained glass windows, plush carpets and packed pews. Everybody is dressed in their Sunday best. My friend wears the same crumpled shirt, overalls and dirty cap from yesterday. A group of ushers is gathering. I think they are about to ask us to leave!

The Pastor of this fine congregation just stepped into the pulpit.

"Good morning. I'm so glad you were able to attend our first day of revival services! We are proud to welcome our visiting evangelist."

My friend made good time up the aisle; he didn't really need us at all! The panhandler facade served as a valuable lesson. Our evangelist took his designated place beside the pastor and a hush fell across the church. He had a captive audience. They saw a reality sermon the day before. He did not come to town in search of a handout; he felt compelled to handout a message from the Lord. The worship hour sermon only affirmed the truth. "And the King will answer them, 'I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me. Then He will say to those on the left, 'Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the Devil and his angels (Matthew 25:40-41 HCS)!"

I can hardly wait for the altar call; how many will discard their crutches of prideful indifference and kneel before the Man of Sorrows?

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print