The Grouch
by PamFord Davis

Sesame Street is not the only place I discover "the Grouch", and he is not merely Oscar, a fictional character to entertain toddlers. I often hear similar speech pouring from my own mouth and see his frowns in the bathroom mirror. Irritability lies right below my skin and surfaces when I spy oncoming vessels of opposition in my periscope. Alarms sound and I go into attack mode releasing torpedoes of sarcasm, fueling the fires of conflict.

I imagine a tape recorder with God capturing my conversations for replay before family and friends. How could I allow myself, His child to be so out of control? I could blame others. I heard many sarcastic remarks while growing up; the one opposing me is unkind. No, the fault lies here; the accusing finger points back to me. I am a recipient of my own bitterness and the shrapnel victimizes all in its trajectory.

I am raising the white flag; I surrender to God and admit my irritability and my inability to master it. His Holy Spirit is my way to a gentle spirit and victory under His banner of love. "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth (I Corinthians 13:4-6 NRS)." Grouch can live forever in a trashcan; I am preparing for glory land!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print