Granny and Puss Harvey
by annie keys

My son in-law's Granny was watching a TV evangelist one afternoon, holding her cat, Puss Harvey, on her lap. Puss was sick and Granny was deeply concerned.

The TV preacher's sermon was very timely; how important our pets are in our old age. He said that God even cared for the sparrows, so it was scriptural that God cared for our beloved pets.

In closing, the enthusiastic preacher announced, "If your sick pet is near you, hold it up against the TV screen and I'll pray for YOUR pet". Granny grabbed Puss Harvey, held him against the television and agreed in prayer for healing!

Finally, prayer finished, the televangelist proclaimed that if you REALLY wanted to INSURE that your pet was healed; send an offering of $100. Granny pointed at Puss Harvey and said, "Puss, you gonna DIE!"

Of course, "Granny" was faithful in her monetary support of her local church that she attended. But, it's so easy to get the wrong attitude toward giving; especially when we rely on televangelists to interpret the scriptures for us.

The scripture does say to tithe and to give offerings in both the Old (Genesis 14:20, Genesis 28:20-22, Leviticus 27:30-32) and New (I Corinthians 16:2, II Corinthians 9:7, Galatians 5:18-25) Testaments.

The tithe is such an important part of our covenant with God that not only are there instructions to give the tithe, but specifics about how the tithe is to be used and cared for as well (Numbers 18:21, Deut.12:5-11, Deut. 14:22-29, Deut. 26:12-15, Nehemiah 12:44).

In the Old Testament, we also find what happens when the tithe is misused or neglected. We also find the blessings that ensue when the tithe is used properly and given faithfully (Amos 4:4, Malachi 3:8-10).

The New Testament mentions tithing as a part of what is required but specifically states that the tithe is not the ONLY thing that is required of God's people if they want to prosper (Matthew 23:23).

In Hebrews 7:5-9, Abraham's tithe is used to illustrate the significance of changing over from the Old Testament priesthood to the New Testament blood covenant.

Oddly, the 'tithe thing' is one of the most often given grievances people have against the church. Yet, people have no angst or malice against social clubs, gyms, recreation parks, leagues and organizations that require money in order to attend, participate or join.

Interestingly, people agree that cost is necessary for maintenance to have a nice facility and great programs at any community gathering place. However, they have issues with funds being needed to maintain the grounds and pay the employees at a house of worship. (?)

Unlike worldly gathering places, God does not say if you don't tithe, you can't come to church. The scripture does say if you tithe, you will be blessed and if you don't you remove God's blessings.

The choice is ours, either way; we are still covered with the blood of Jesus and forgiven of our sins. Since I want all the blessings God offers, I pay my tithes plus more.

Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

I'm a wife, mother, a grandmother and I love to write! I'm a retired Pastor's Secretary and a former Assistant Kid's church Pastor. 

I write Children's material and devotions. I love to use 'real life', especially the exploits of children, to illustrate scriptural truth.
www.rubberontheroad.org

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print