Rain, Rain...
by PamFord Davis

"Rain, rain, Go away. Come again some other day." Children peer through raindrop windows and sing a tune to turn dark skies to blue. They hate being cooped up inside on long rainy days. Farmers in my area are singing their own ditty. "Rain, rain, Head our way. Bless us Lord, we humbly pray."

We need rain for crops, yards and trees; it is on our minds and in our prayers. A friend shook his head with concern, commenting, leaves are falling off trees and old-timers recall a drought in the 1930s' when trees succumbed to devastating drought. Water bills soar as growers open irrigation systems, providing moisture to withering cash crops of soybeans, corn, sweet potatoes, rice and tomatoes. Home gardeners water plants with hoses, hoping to keep plants alive and birds become bold enough to make regular flybys and landings at the garden for a free sprinkling.

We need relief from drought, yet it does serve a valuable purpose; sometimes God withholds rain and moisture when we withhold commitment to him. "That's also why the dew doesn't fall and your harvest fails. And so, at my command everything will become barren-your farmland and pastures, your vineyards and olive trees, your animals and you yourselves. All your hard work will be for nothing (Haggai 1:10-11 CEV)." God's people were quick to invest in fancy homes, slow to make repairs on his house of prayer. Weather conditions brought them to their senses. "So the Lord God All-Powerful made everyone eager to work on his temple." (Verse 14a)

"Rain, rain, Head our way. Bless us Lord, we humbly pray."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print