One person one church
by Michael Hume

Jesus said "on this rock I will build my church." Matthew 16.18

Personalising that verse, Jesus or God is my rock within me, and I am a church. One person, a mobile church which goes with me wherever I go. Jesus founded the rock-like faith within me and he will bring it to maturity.

By nature I am a non-conformist. I do not go with the herd. I like being myself and I believe God wants me to be myself.

There are many varieties of Christians on earth doing different things through the ages since Jesus walked on earth during his earth ministry. Some were roaming apostles like Paul who went to places like Ephesus. I went to the theatre, in Ephesus, Turkey where they all tried shouting Paul down. It still stands today with beautiful green hills nearby and the remains of other dramatic stone buildings and streets.

There are monks who do invaluable work. Some are obscure in human eyes and others well known. Mendel was an Austrian monk and is said to be the founder of genetics experimenting with plants of the pea family.

There are poustiniks or Russian Christians who live in near solitude typically on the fringes of Russian villages. They serve God and make themselves available to listen to and serve those who go to them. No doubt praying also a lot of the time.

Some go abroad as a missionary or teachers.

Then there is the conventional definition of church. A Pentecostal church, Anglican, Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, etc.. I have visited all of the above and have met genuine Christians in each of them.

What I like about going to a church is the fact that I have something in common with the people there. What matters most to them matters most to me. We all read the Bible and we all serve and know Jesus. It is a relief to be in such like minded company.

God always has supplied me with at least one Christian friend nearby so I am never in total solitude. I find solitude healthy and normal and it allows me to be my true self before God. There is a time for solitude.

We are all unique. What works for one may not work for another. There are varieties of serving God and all these should be respected. As long as a person is serving God in a right way.

Michael Hume. The Holy Spirit teaches you everything.  Copyright belongs to author.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print