Hold Down the Fort
by PamFord Davis

"Hold down the fort!" I have heard the expression countless times, but I cannot say I know the complexities of that command or all that entails. I should be an expert on forts after watching so many tales of the Wild West. Soldiers, their families and a splatter of civilians found security behind barred doors to the fort as scouts bravely surveyed outside, keeping eyes peeled for Indians on the warpath. Did the post commander bear the burden of holding down the fort or did he delegate responsibility?

I am grateful that God has not left me to fend for myself. He tenderly makes personal provision; He alone is my fortress. "God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1a NIV)." Problems and peril may be mounting an attack, leaving me vulnerable and panic stricken, yet I have no cause to feel abandoned or left out in the cold. "The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah (Psalm 46:11 NIV)." Psalm writers penned many beautiful Psalms as songs. Selah is a time of pause in singing. I pause and ponder my Lord holding down the fort!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print