A Convenient God
by Steve Countryman

To be a true believer, as a Christian should, you cannot place conditions on God. Serving God cannot be accomplished on your terms. You can't decide to serve Him today but not tomorrow. You don't get to pick and choose when, where and how to serve God. The many religions of this world will tell you otherwise. A convenient god is a man made god. A convenient god is a god created in man's image. It is a god that is only here to serve you. You bring him down from the shelf when you need his help, then return him when you don't. He places no demands on you or your time. He is more like a magic genie than a god. You only think of him when you are in trouble or when you want something. You think that by doing some good deeds from time to time you will earn "heavenly points" that will all be added up when you die to help get you into heaven. That is the kind of deception that will keep you out of heaven, out of your blessings that God has for you and land you in hell instead.

Most religions are steeped in traditions, routines, duty and respect for their religion. Very little if any importance is ever placed on serving God rather it is placed on serving your religion. Mark 7:6-8 6He replied, "Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: " 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. 7They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.' 8You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men." In these verses Jesus gives the best definition of religion and their followers.

When you treat God like a god of convenience you are treating God with casual indifference. Casual indifference lacks respect and fear of God. It brings God down to the same level as man. God then is treated worst then someone would treat their own casual friends. Lack of time, lack of priorities, lack of caring, lack of interest in your God will cause lack of spiritual growth, lack of wisdom, lack of prayer and lack of faith. Then when you do pray in the middle of your troubles your prayers just don't seem to get through, I wonder why?

Casual indifference towards Christ existed in His day as well as today as these verses point out. Luke 7:39-48 39When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she isthat she is a sinner." 40Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you." "Tell me, teacher," he said. 41"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?" 43Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled." "You have judged correctly," Jesus said. 44Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgivenfor she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little." 48Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."

Simon the Pharisee had invited Jesus over for dinner but didn't bother to show Jesus the common courtesies shown regular guests. Simon didn't like the attention that the woman was giving to Jesus. Jesus used the parable to show the difference between the way Simon had treated Jesus and the way the woman had treated Him. Simon treated Jesus with casual indifference. The woman treated Jesus with respect, fear, adoration and with grateful love.

Don't let religion be your source of Biblical truth and how to act as a Christian, trust your reading and studying of the Word. Don't let friends and relatives tell you how to treat God. In your daily time with God in prayer let the Holy Spirit guide you into all truth and let the love of the Father guide you in how to love and fear God. Are you ready?!?


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print