Holy Anger Turned Away
by Gary J. Borgstede

Scripture

Isaiah 12:1-2 "And in that day you will say: 'O Lord, I will praise You; though You were angry with me, Your anger is turned away, and You comfort me. Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid.'"

Observation

In this passage, Isaiah prophesies of a day when the people of God will sing to the Lord and praise Him for turning away His holy anger and comforting them as God of their salvation. It is evident from this verse that God, in His holiness, can be angry with me which is a very sobering thought. However, it is also evident from this verse that God's holy anger can be turned away from me as He comforts me and I behold Him, trusting Him as God of my salvation.

Application

As a believer, there are times when I can anger the Lord with willful sin; however, in His mercy that endures forever, the Lord can turn His anger away from me through His loving correction. Even though such rebuke is painful for the moment, the Lord's correction as my loving heavenly Father brings comfort in the end. In fact, Psalms 30:5 declares, "For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning." King David expresses praise for the Lord's everlasting mercy through this kind of loving rebuke from our holy heavenly Father when he says in Psalm 118:18, "The Lord has chastened me severely, but He has not given me over to death." Therefore, just as God is holy, by the power of the Holy Spirit living in me, I must also be holy in all of my conduct as a redeemed child of the living God.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for Your mercy that endures forever and Your loving-kindness that leads me to repentance when I have sinned against You! I praise You Lord for You are Jehovah Tsidkenu, the Lord our Righteousness, who is faithful and just to forgive me of my sin and cleanse me from all unrighteousness when I fail You and confess my sin to You! I love You Jesus! Amen!

Holy Anger Turned Away Copyright 2010, Gary J. Borgstede. You have permission to reprint the personal devotion, Holy Anger Turned Away, in its entirety only, and forward to your colleagues and friends, provided the copyright notice remains part of the reprint and transmission. All other rights reserved.

Gary J. Borgstede is the published author of the leadership books titled, The Make It Happen Journey and Kings Come Forth, as well as the faith-based leadership education blog at www.makeithappenmoment.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print