The Beatitudes: Kingdom Attitudes Versus Worldly Wisdom
by James Barringer

Everyone loves the Beatitudes of Matthew 5, because they're very practical and down-to-earth teaching about the attitudes and behaviors that every Christian should be trying to live out. Imagine the difficult task that Jesus faced, coming down out of heaven, from a Trinity that enjoys perfect love and community within itself, from a place where everyone finds their own glory in glorifying God, and coming down into a world that is so backward, so broken. The Beatitudes are his attempt to illustrate the differences between his way of thinking and our way of thinking.

Jesus says: "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
The world says: "Blessed are the rich in material wealth, because they pull all the strings and have all the nice things."

Jesus says: "Blessed are those who mourn, because they will be comforted."
The world says: "Blessed are those who put on a stiff upper lip and pretend they aren't hurting, because vulnerability is weakness."

Jesus says: "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."
The world says: "Blessed are the aggressive, because nice guys finish last."

Jesus says: "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, because they will be satisfied."
The world says: "Blessed are those who have low expectations, because they will never be disappointed."

Jesus says: "Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy."
The world says: "Blessed are the merciless, for they will become CEOs."

Jesus says: "Blessed are the pure in heart, because they will see God."
The world says: "Blessed are the people who only care about morality when it's convenient, because they will have a much easier life."

Jesus says: "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."
The world says: "Blessed are the winners, because everyone who's not a winner is a loser."

Jesus says: "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
The world says: "Blessed are those who don't take a hard stand for anything, because persecution isn't fun or easy."

Jesus says: "Blessed are you when others revile you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account."
The world says: "Blessed are the tolerant and politically correct, because they're way more open-minded and progressive than those miserable moralistic Christians."


Are you living out the world's attitudes or Jesus' attitudes?

Jim Barringer is a 38-year-old writer, musician, and teacher. More of his work can be found at facebook.com/jmbarringer.  This work may be reprinted for any purpose so long as this bio and statement of copyright is included.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print