Missing The Obvious
by Steve Countryman

So many times I have missed the obvious. Like that old saying: "if it had been a snake", well that is how I have felt. There are different reasons it happens to us in our walk with the Lord. God will place a desire or vision in our heart. When we receive it and start our pursuit of it, that is when it can happen. Most of the time we miss the obvious because we think that we have figured out how to obtain it or achieve it. In our zeal to get from point A to point B we tend to forget some important things along the way. First, who put that vision there? If it is tied to God then He has a certain way He wants us to arrive at it. If money is part of what is required then God will provide a way. If a deeper walk or fresh revelation is required then God will provide a way. Whatever the criteria may be God will always provide a way! We have to be willing to submit, pray, and wait upon the Lord. Our problem is us! We get in the way or more realistically we get in His way. Jumping ahead of God isn't the best way to see your vision realized. Lots of mistakes will happen. Over time you can get so caught up in your vision that what mattered before no longer does. We let ourselves get blinded to the fact that getting there is part of the growing process which is not to be ignored.

For example, let's say that the Lord has given you a vision of you going on a missions trip. You start making a list of those things that you feel you will need for the trip. You then start rounding up those items for the trip. Now you have things on your list that you are not allowed to take and things that you will need to take but are not in your budget. What to bring, where to go, who to meet, what to attend, where to stay, who to trust, what to say, what to avoid, who to avoid and who to speak to. Before long you are so caught up in everything for the trip you have missed the obvious. It was God who put this in your heart so you would go to Him for all of your needs in prayer. But you jumped ahead of Him and decided to take care of all of those things yourself and left Him out of the equation. If this is of God then God will provide!! Your vision should never outweigh the importance of who put it there in the beginning otherwise you will miss the obvious! This too is part of your daily walk with Him. Jumping ahead vs. being led!?!

In past prayers I prayed that whatever God wanted me to do that I would never let Him down. I used to pray this on several occasions. God revealed to me that I wasn't being realistic and that no matter how hard I tried I would always let Him down one way or another because I am not perfect. Jesus was the only human being who never let God down and He was perfect. I missed the obvious!!

You would never walk around with a piece of cardboard under your eyes so that you couldn't see your next three steps. Likewise, your vision can't be limited to your goal or vision only. It has to include how God wants you to get there. When you make your vision your goal your way instead of fulfilling God's destiny for your life then you are fulfilling your own selfish destiny. You have just missed the obvious! You must trust God for the answers and have faith that He will provide.

The sad part of missing the obvious is that it is not limited to new Christians, but to ALL Christians including elders, worship leaders, deacons, church leaders, teachers, youth pastors, assistant pastors, bishops and pastors. We miss the obvious in His Word. We miss the obvious in His commands. We miss the obvious in His ways and examples. We miss the obvious in prayer. We miss the obvious in worship. We miss the obvious in the sermons. I can't speak for you, but I just hate missing the obvious. God says that we are more than conquers, that means His expectations are that we shouldn't be trapped by the day to day battles of life. Because Christ is in us we are more than daily battle survivors, more than victors and more than conquers. He expects us to obtain a higher ground of existence with Him. One that includes not missing the obvious! Commit everything to the Lord. Pray without ceasing. Pray for confirmation, guidance, revelation and wisdom. Praise the Lord for the answer even when you don't know what it is. And in all things give Him thanks. God will provide the obvious!!


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print