I TRIPLE-Dog-Dare Ya!
by Kristi Peifer

One of my favorite things about the Christmas season is the opportunity to catch a bit of classic TV farenamely, "A Christmas Story." Who doesn't like tuning in every year to watch good ol' Ralphie's antics as he pines for the coveted Red Ryder BB gun? Ah, the memories of laughing at the tacky horror of the leg lamp and the disgustingly cutesy kitsch of Ralphie's pink bunny suit!

Perhaps one of the most memorable scenes, however, is of the ill-fated pole-licking incident on the schoolyard. The tension is palpable as one boy eggs another on. The instigator, Schwartz, dares fellow student Flick to put his tongue on a frozen pole, knowing full well that it is a bad idea! At first Flick hesitates, perhaps considering the true consequences that could follow if he gives in to Schwartz's taunts. "I double-DOG-dare ya!" Hmm. Flick holds out a bit more, until the dreaded TRIPLE-dog-dare is thrust upon him. That's it! He can't resist any longer! Reason goes out the window! He sticks out his tongue, presses it to the pole, and no doubt, quickly regrets his decision.

Isn't that just like what goes on in our spiritual lives every day? We have the truth of God's Word easily accessible to us. We know God wants us to resist temptation and the schemes of Satan. Yet somehow, we still find ourselves standing on that frozen schoolyard, listening to the devil taunt, "I TRIPLE-dog-dare ya!" The question is, will we stick out our tongues and take the bait?

First Corinthians 10:13 (NIV) says, "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

God will NEVER allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear! He's no fake-bearded department store Santa that pats us on the head and sends us on our not-so-merry way with a gruff, "You'll shoot your eye out, kid." We have the unwavering support of God Almightyand He will provide a way out of the daily temptations that plague us. All we have to do is accept the help He offers. That's a gift that beats a Red Ryder BB gun any day!

Copyright Kristi Peifer, 2011. 

I am a pastor's wife, the mother of two special needs children, a performer, and a lover of all things funny. My sincerest desires are to glorify Jesus Christ and to make someone laugh--preferably at the same time. 

Visit me at www.neverkissatoaster.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print