Funhouse Mirror
by Joanne Sher

In the image of God.

Sometimes I have a hard enough time thinking of myself having ANYTHING in common with God - but being created in His image? Unfathomable.

When I look at my image--a photo of me, my reflection in the mirror, whatever--I can't help but wonder what about me is a reflection of Him. What I see is so opposed to everything He is.

Selfishness

Stubbornness

Vanity

Anger

Impatience

Pettiness

Pride

I think I'll stop here before I take up all my space. God's image, in my view, is pretty distorted in my life.

But the amazing thing is, no matter how warped and distorted that image may be, it's still there. It is implanted within us. It is the basis of our creation - in our DNA, so to speak (or perhaps even literally). We are image-bearers for God.

Every one of us is--no matter how hidden it might be beneath the sinful exterior--beneath the layers of humanity that cover up His imprint on our lives. He IS there.

And it is only through God's Spirit indwelling the believer, His message penetrating the heart, and acceptance of His Son's sacrifice on the cross, that the image becomes clear to the world.

For it is only when we are the eyes and hands of Jesus--when we are right in the center of God's will and acting only with His power--that the distortion is decreased and we are true image bearers. Only then are we fittingly seen as a reflection of our Heavenly Father.

(c) Joanne Sher 2011

Joanne Sher is a Christian writer saved out of Judaism, traveling rough roads with God's strength. She loves to blog, encourage, write, and spend time with her family. Learn more about her at http://www.joannesher.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print