Pot Passers
by PamFord Davis

Oil company officials and kinfolk persuaded the Clampett clan to move to Californy; Jed, Granny, Jethro, Ellie Mae and faithful dog Duke crowded into a dilapidated truck and made the trek to Beverly Hills. The hillbilly family discovered a land of prosperity and perplexities; they could not comprehend the gadget filled mansion and superficial lives of the millionaires in the neighborhood.

Life was so simple back home; Jed and Jethro hunted game; Granny grew their vegetables, made lye soap and doctored those in her care. They had shelter in a small cabin, clothes and food. Who could ask for more? In contrast, they wandered around their spacious mansion yearning for the familiar surroundings and family they left behind. We did enjoy the levity in their Cinderella transformation, though it never really took.

They took turns guessing at the source of the doorbell chimes that mysteriously sounded every time before a guest would knock on their door and guests were entertained in the fancy eatin' room with the long green table. Jed was delighted to demonstrate the billiard sticks which served as handy long handled pot passers. He would extend the stick through a handle of a cast iron pot and pass it around the table.

The Father expects us to pass on his works and ways. "We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done (Psalm 78:4 NIV)." I do not have a fancy eatin' room but I can dish out his devotionals and tell my grandchildren of his love and forgiveness; I do not have fried possum but heaps of fulfilled promises. I will just stir the pot and pass it around!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print