Speaking in tongues
by Michael Hume

Speaking in tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit and the interpretation of tongues is another. Both are paired with each other. 


What happens when you speak in tongues ?


“One who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.” 1 Corinthians 14:2 It is a mysterious language and it is the Holy Spirit speaking through you to speak to God the Father. A private language between God the Spirit and God the Father. But He can provide the interpretation to you. A high privilege. A most worthy prayer Helper. The best.


“Let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.” 1 Corinthians 14:13. You need to ask God for the gift of interpretation of tongues every time you use your gift. Having said this, I have spoken hundreds of words in tongues with only a few words given or sometimes none. Perhaps what is going on is that the Holy spirit is edifying me or words are not needed much.


“If I pray with my tongue my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.” 1 Corinthians 14:14. Paul then says he prays with the mind and tongues, he sings with the mind and tongues. Speaking in tongues is the same as praying in tongues if you link this verse with the one above. Pray in tongues and in your natural language.


“I thank God I speak in tongues more than all of you.” 1 Corinthians 14:18. This strongly suggests that Paul spoke in tongues a lot and hints that we should. 


“I wish that you would all speak in tongues.” 1 Corinthians 14:5. Paul definitely says that all should speak in tongues. It is a wonderful gift and gives you more firepower in prayer, and more strength in your faith life.


“ Desire earnestly to prophesy but do not forbid speaking in tongues.” 1 Corinthians 14:39. If the Holy Spirit leads someone to speak in tongues do not stop that person. 


“He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself.” 1 Corinthians 14:2. When you are speaking in tongues you are being edified, made more Holy in a distinct way to Bible reading, praise, thanksgiving, singing and other ways of growing in faith. That’s why it should be used. It does things for you the other things don’t. 


“The Spirit also helps us in our weakness, for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.” Romans 8:26,27 When we pray in tongues, the Holy Spirit is searching our hearts and praying precisely according to Gods will. It is perfect praying. It is God the Holy Spirit praying for us to God the Father. A huge help to us.  


“With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints.” Ephesians 6:18. Pray in tongues, and in words at all times and with all kinds of prayers. 


If you have the gift of tongues keep using it. I would suggest speaking in tongues a minimum of roughly 15 minutes per day . The reason I write this is because I go slack at times, some days speaking in tongues less than a minute a day. It’s a powerful spiritual gift, on tap at will and it is a shame that I was numbed into not using it. Now that I am renewing it, I would encourage you to keep using it too. You can speak in tongues for hours a day. The more the better. 


In a church setting Paul says “If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret. 1 Corinthians 14:27 


“They were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.” Acts 2:4 This is another aspect of the gift of tongues when the gifted one speaks in tongues and the hearer hears in his or her native language which the speaker has never learnt. That is what happened in Acts. I have come across many accounts of this happening these days.


 


 


 


 



Michael Hume. The Holy Spirit teaches you everything.  Copyright belongs to author.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print