Making Meaning
by Melissa Martin

I am over 45 years of age and halfway to 90. I've lived through the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and into the twenty-first century. It may seem clich but I'm spending more time reflecting and making meaning of my former 16,425 days. And like myriads of human beings before me I'm pondering the question; where did the minutes, hours, days, weeks, and years go? I'm revisiting purpose and evaluating my journey. After my daughter left for college, I spent less time at malls and more time with nature. Meaning-making is comprised of ordinary moments, celebrations, and milestones. It is found in births and funerals. It is found in childhood and adulthood. It is found in joy and pain. It is found in graduation and retirement. It is found before life and beyond death.

I've discovered that meaning-making does not have a destination. It is a continuous journey with joy and tragedy mixed together. It is a spiritual quest as well as a quest for knowledge and wisdom. It is a personal quest for learning lessons and many times I've had to learn the same lessons over and again.

Ultimately, I make meaning through relationships with God, myself, and others. How do you make meaning? How do you make meaning in your relationships?

Melissa writes about the God and human connection and condition.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print