Healing is a Mystery
by Melissa Martin

Where is healing born? Mind, body, soul. Physicians do not heal the body, psychiatrists do not heal the mind, priests do not heal the soul; helping professionals are but mere catalysts and helpers. Medicine does not heal; it is a treatment tool as well. Cough syrup and aspirin does not cure the common cold. The human body heals itself by eliminating the virus via the immune system. Medication, sleep, rest, and chicken soup aid the process. But, where is the healing place for mental illness? To find the healing place do we have to find the disease place first? What makes the mind unwell? An overabundance of jealousy, greed, guilt, worry, rage, revenge? Rejection, betrayal, isolation? Purposeless suffering? Could the brain hold the key to the healing door?

Does a healing agent reside within each individual? Could it be that the wellspring of healing bubbles up from the foundational locus? Where is this mysterious healing place located? Deep in the recesses of the brain cells where bio-chemical reactions take place or in reshaping synaptic pathways at the molecular level of the Limbic System where the Amygdala and the Hippocampus interact. Do brain substances fuse together to cook a healing juice that flows through the circulatory system to all parts of the mind, body, and soul? If the potential for mental illness is inherited then could healing be genetic as well? The discovery of psychotropic medication was life-changing. Is healing in the shape of a pill? It is the twenty-first century and some psychiatric disorders are treatable but not curable. What and where are the healing potions? Inside of us? Outside of us? Both?

Heredity vs. environment. Vitamins, minerals, herbs, roots? Nutritional food? Bottled water? Sun, moon, sea, fresh air, land? Are these salient factors involved in the mental healing process? Is planet earth the great physician and are we destroying its medicinal properties with pollution? Does addressing the 5 senses (i.e., sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell) sooth the psyche? Do factors in the environment trigger internal healing and repair a broken mind? A broken spirit? Is healing a combination of the spirit with oneness of the God of choice or does the mind and body amalgamate forces? What do physical healing and psychological healing have in common? Is stress and distress the culprit of mental illness?

How does client resiliency effect mental healing? Support systems? Motivation? Persistence? Hope? Attitude? Courage? Expectations? Personality? Purpose in life? Self-image? If certain emotions can make us sick (guilt, shame, anger, grief) then can certain emotions heal us (joy, love, excitement, laughter)? Is forgiveness of self and others a healing tonic? Is the potency of belief more powerful than medication? Placebo? Magic?

Does the human connection jump-start the healing process of the mind? Accepting hope, encouragement, kindness, love, caring, understanding, unconditional acceptance, warmth, and genuineness from others. Could healing be a social event? Is healing found in human relationships? Is healing cultural? Does psychic healing manifest itself in freedom from social oppression? Is healing found in justice or mercy? Perhaps hope in humanity rejuvenates the self. Is agape love the solution? Eros? Philo?

Science of medicine, art of psychology, and theology of spirituality partner in the healing dance of mental illness. Is the healing place internal, external or both? Celestial or terrestrial? Is healing found in Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Confucius? Is the healing place located in a counseling office, atop a Colorado mountain, a hospital room, beside a stream, or in heavenly places? Is healing found in a book of poetry, listening to music, painting a picture, dancing, writing a play, or in creativity? Is healing achieved by way of meditation, prayer, chanting, singing? Can healing be found in our search for meaning and significance? Is healing found in self-love and disease found in self-hatred?

The healing place is unique for each person based on individual experiences and interpretation of meanings. I say healing is a mysterious process and lives in a mysterious place.

Melissa writes about the God and human connection and condition.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print