Holidays are an Adventure
by Melissa Martin

Family holidays are the best of times and the worst of times. It is the best of times when sisters, brothers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and in-laws come together to eat, swap stories, and spend time going down memory lane. It is the best of times when everyone meets at grandma's house for the world's best cooking.

It is the worst of times when your third cousin from across the state visits with their two toddlers and the parents are trying out Dr. Spock's child-raising techniques. Fighting over toys is called expression, carrying red Kool-Aid into your living room is called exploring, and chasing the family dog with a hairbrush is called experimenting. I call it exasperating!

It is the best of times when the turkey is golden brown, the mashed potatoes are not lumpy, and the dinner is on time with enough food for all. It is the worst of times when the men exit to watch the football game, the teenagers exit to listen to music, the children exit to play outside, the dog exits to take a nap, and the women stay to wash the pots and pans.

It is the best of times when the holiday is over and families kiss, hug, and say meaningful mushy words of endearment. It is the worst of times when your third cousin decides to stay another week.

Melissa writes about the God and human connection and condition.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print