Rain
by Melissa Martin

Eve doesn't like rainy weather. Her mother once lamented that rain is the tears of angels crying for suffering children. Eve's mother has bipolar disorder with a history of noncompliance to medication. Eve says her childhood was a chaotic mess of moving from place to place, surviving on Cheerios and milk, and counting the parade of mom's lovers. When mom was manic, life was a party with pizza and pizzazz, but when mom was depressed, life was a frozen tray of frosty ice cubes. Eve has grown tired of parenting her mother. I'm amazed at her resiliency. However, Eve is seeking intervention and treatment for her mother not for herself.

I provide education on treatment options, local referrals to community mental health services, community resources, pamphlets, and so forth. Eve begs me to admit her mom to a psychiatric hospital, but reports her mother is not suicidal, homicidal, psychotic, or willing. I explain the criteria for involuntary psychiatric hospitalization admission. Eve's head and shoulders drop and she stares into the carpet. Her mother has refused treatment for years. I offer counseling and support for Eve but she refuses.

I watch the tears moisten Eve's eyes as she sighs with discouragement. As I walk with her to the front door, I notice it is raining.

Melissa writes about the God and human connection and condition.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print