Settling is Not an Option
by Shirley Carr

Somewhere straddled between successful and significant is the option to settle. Successful is defined as having achieved a favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors. Significant is defined as having meaning, influence, and probably caused by something other than mere chance. The option to settle has become congested by the constant image to "Ball so Hard".

In the hit, "N***** in Paris", Jay Z and Kanye West utter the implications of success. In this lyrical allegory the two become synonymous with the Kray twins. The Kray twins were the crime lords of London in the 1950's and 1960's. On countless occasions the Kray twins got away with crimes, without being caught. Jay communicates in the chorus, "Ball so hard *****wanna fine me." As the two lyrically unravel the script for the graven image of success, Kanye repetitiously reiterates, "Don't let me get in my zone." By the end, the two conclude, "I'm definitely in my Zone." I wasn't able to get an interview with either of the two lyrical geniuses' to inquire on the difference between success and significance but I found another script. I wondered whether or not Jay and Kanye ever read the story of a people who traveled from one zone only to settle in another. In Judges 18 we encounter a people in the search for a promised inheritance.

This is the time when the people are in search of a king after having been given a promised inheritance. Have you ever been promised something from God and you had to wait with expectation and no manifestation. God where are you?-You promised that I would escape the world's corruption caused by human desires (2 Peter 1:4). God where are you? -You promised to give a future and hope (Jeremiah 29:11). God where are you? -You promised rest (Matthew 11:28). God where are you? -You promised power when I'm weak and strength when I am powerless (Isaiah 40:29). God where are you? -You promised to supply all of my needs (Philippians 4:19). God where are you? -You promised overwhelming victory (Romans 8:37). God where are you? You promised that if we listen to you, we will live in peace (Proverbs 1:33). God where are you?- You promised to be close to the brokenhearted and those crushed in spirit (Psalm 34:18). The option to settle comes at your lowest point.

The people of Dan where at a "God Where Are You" moment? What do they do next? They send five of their leading men to explore land. These men were leaving Zorah and Eshtoal. It is important that you know the name Zorah means hornet. A hornet is the heaviest type of bee. An inspirational story, tells us that according to that the weight of a bee the mass of the wings should make it impossible for the bee to fly but the bee who is not privy to science flies anyway. These people are carrying the heaviest weight they ever had to carry. According to the Holman dictionary Eshtoal means asking for an oracle. These people were petitioning God. The Dannites leave Zorah and Eshtoal to explore the land in Laish.

The option to settle may have God's approval but not God's Blessing! As the men leave to explore Laish they encounter the house of Micah and inquire of the Levite there. They ask the Levite if their journey will be successful. The Levite tells them that their journey has the Lord's approval. There are some things in our life that have been devised to get us off path but God allowed us to go in and come out of it. Who can comprehend the mercy and grace of God? Have you ever been in something and you realized that it was only God that got you out of it? Maybe you were with people that you shouldn't have been with. Maybe you used something you shouldn't have used. Maybe you committed something that you shouldn't have committed. Maybe you did the right thing at the wrong time? Can you think of a time when you had the approval of God but not the blessing of God?

The option to settle always appears how you would like it to! As the men travel further towards Laish they arrive and find a place of security and peace. When the Dannites return home they give the report that the land they explored was good and that the land lacks nothing. Soon they proceed back to take over Laish. They revisit Micah's house and take the priest, graven images, and the ephod on their way to attach Laish. Next the scriptures tell us that the Dannites arrive at Laish and overtake and rebuild the city with a new name- Dan. They set up idols for themselves and begin to worship in a place not blessed by God.

Having read Judges 18 and listened to "N***** in Paris" something became apparent to me and I would like to share it with you. Anything outside of the promise of God, anything that has the implications of success but not the stipulation of significance is nothing more than organized crime. Jay...Kanye... I haven't had a chance to holla at ya but I found out something -SUCCESS is FINE but SIGNIFICANCE is FOREVER! Settling is NOT an Option!

Judges 18:1
In those days Israel had no king. And in those days the tribe of the Danites was seeking a place of their own where they might settle, because they had not yet come into an inheritance among the tribes of Israel.

EVEidenz, copyright Pen You In 

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print