I Had A Dream
by Donald Mehl

I'm not one to place much, if any, significance in dreams. However, a recent dream of mine was sad, frightening, exciting, and perhaps even prophetic - all rolled into one. I'd like to share it as I "saw" it.

I recall feeling very much alone in the world. My dear ailing wife, who I had cared for during the past few years with every fiber of my being, was not with me. I didn't know why she wasn't there, and today, I don't even want to think about a possible reason.

At some point I must have become mentally unstable or bodily sick - I just don't know. Because of that, I recall being physically removed from my home against my will, and forcefully taken to live in some kind of locked facility. I hated being there. I couldn't leave, all the things I enjoyed weren't available to me, and I rarely had visitors. I had been abandoned and forgotten by all of those who I cared about - even my family.

It quickly became very clear to me that I simply could not allow, and would not allow, that to continue for the rest of my life. Somehow, I had to leave that horrible place.

My creative mind soon devised a sure way to escape the prison that held me captive. I never revealed the details to anyone. With my plan firmly in place, I waited patiently to act at the perfect moment. Once outside I remained hidden for a time - concealed amongst the tall grasses and brush growing nearby. At dusk I began to make my way toward a large grove of trees that lined the distant horizon.

Once I reached the protective cover of the tree's thick foliage, I could sense that freedom was finally within my grasp. It was exhilarating! I began to run anxiously through the woods in the darkness - tripping and falling several times. But, at long last, I had successfully escaped from the jaws of that painful trap. I vowed to never return.

Suddenly, I became aware of people shouting and the sounds of barking bloodhounds off in the distance behind me. Panic began to overtake my mind, causing me to push forward with even greater determination. I screamed out in prayer, "Dear God, don't let them catch me. Take me away from here. Please help me!"

The angry voices led by the dog's relentless pursuit sounded as though they were almost on top of me. Running blindly in the dark of night, I stumbled and fell again - this time tumbling down a steep embankment and into a narrow, filthy drainage ditch.

As I lay there unable to move, I felt an overwhelming peace come over me. Gone were the threatening voices, the bloodhounds were gone, the pain in my body was gone, and the dawning of a bright new day had swallowed up the darkness. But best of all...I heard glorious music that sounded like thousands of angels singing from heaven's choir.

And then...Someone offered me a cup of cool, clear water - Living Water. Praise God, I was truly free. I was free at last!

John 7:37b, 38 NKJV
"If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water."

John 4:14 NKJV
"but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life."

During retirement, my prayer is that I might serve the Lord by sharing the Gospel through my writing.  As the Lord leads, my work will inform, challenge and encourage.  I also enjoy Biblical theme woodcarving, Bible studies and Christian music.  Watch, pray and keep looking up!

Donald Mehl

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print