Was America Founded on Christian Beliefs and Values?
by Michael Blunk Th.D.

My daughter thinks I am old enough to remember the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Deep down, she secretly thinks I was there along with John Hancock and Ben Franklin. I keep insisting I am not that old!

It is true that most of America's founding fathers were Christian; even a non-Christian such as Thomas Jefferson respected the Christian faith and maintained theistic views. America was founded on principles taught in the Old Testament and New Testament; there are revisionist historians who would like to eradicate the Judeo-Christian influence from our early history, but such historians are intellectually dishonest.

In my lifetime, I have seen a decline in America's moral values. I attribute some of this to Hollywood, some to senseless politicians, and some, quite truthfully, to worthless Christian leaders who do not esteem the Bible as God's infallible word. I am a clergyman and I am ashamed to tell you there are many pastors who have been corrupted by faithlessness. They are false shepherds.

Before the return of the Lord Jesus Christ, the world will steadily worsen. It is bound to happen. We are seeing our own nation going downhill before our very eyes. I hear people talking of "reclaiming America." The notion sounds good, but I have my doubts this will happen. As I read the Scriptures, I am to understand this progressive corruption of our world must take place before Christ Jesus returns.

Our problems are beyond us. No politician is capable of correcting this mess we are in. I can already hear the gasping breaths of our own dying culture. America is plummeting to the depths of degradation and I personally believe this decline is irreversible.

Sound depressing? I do not necessarily think so. Jesus is coming back. When He returns, He will fix all that is broken. I have long given up on either political party. My faith is elsewhere. I am waiting for the King of Kings to return.

Does this mean we give up and do nothing? No. About a year from now, I will vote for the candidate whom I see as the most godly. I will never vote for a candidate that supports abortion and same-sex marriage. I will never vote for a candidate that has a low regard for Israel. I will not vote for a candidate whose policies are morally corrupt.

Even if we could convince every person in America that our nation has a great Christian heritage, this would not solve today's problems. There are Christian leaders who are feverishly working to reclaim America--may God bless their efforts--but Jesus said the world will continually decline before His return. When I see our nation going downhill, this serves to remind me of my King's return!

Lament the decline of America, but rejoice in knowing our Savior is coming again. And when He returns, He will make things right once again.

Dr. Michael Blunk is a staff writer for an apologetics ministry and serves full time as a chaplain with Wayside Christian Mission.  You may contact him at [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print