1/35 COMMON CV ERRORS YOU MUST AVOID
by Walter Tsuro

Generally, one should have a dedicated cover page for their CV. Your cover page is your advertising or draw card. From experience I say it is worthy 75% of the CV!

Always remember that employers and agencies come across many CV's and therefore are only scanning for relevant CVs. They do not have time - they simply sift through for CVs that immediately stand out from the rest. A good cover page therefore ensures that your CV avoids being send to the recycle bin before even being really assessed. It is an unfortunate fact but in the recruitment business they judge a book (CV) by its cover!

Your cover page is also your opportunity to demonstrate you know yourself. Have you ever wondered why in interviews they ask, 'tell us about yourself?' Many interviewees usually respond talking about their primary school history etc. IRRELEVANT AND OUT OF TOPIC.

What they want to find out from you is: do you really know who you are? For, unless you know the gift or dominant talent that is in you, then you can never really be of any great use to anyone. People that know or have analyzed themselves tend to be more successful and focused than those that are just looking for any kind of work.

What are you good with (or at) that people always commend you for? Potential employees want a brief bio of you before they really delve themselves into the details of your CV and accomplishments - a good CV cover does just that. The following is my favourite marketing oriented ten-point CV cover page.

CURRICULUM VITAE OF
XXX.

POSITION BEEN SOUGHT:
Chief Administrator

PROFESSION/TRADE QUALIFICATION: Member of the institute of Administrators OR Undergraduate Bachelor of Business Administration

CURRENT OCCUPATION:
Assistant Administrator

JOB OVERVIEW:
Generating and providing valid, accurate and complete operating systems and support material for executive decision makers and heads of departments on time.

EMPLOYMENT PROGRESSION:
> 8 years in Administration
> 6 years in Sales
> 3 years in Secretarial

CAREER AMBITION
To be the president of the National Administrators Club of XX province due to excellent and relevant contribution to the profession.

COMMITMENTS TOWARDS AMBITION
I subscribe and contribute articles and comments to the magazine AMINISTRATION ISSUES.

TESTIMONIALS
Exceptionally good skills with computers - Mary Stewarts - Accountant, HAMMER & TONGUES Ltd
Hard worker - Steven Johns, General Manager, POINTED SECURITY FENCE cc.
Quick thinker - Andrew Sithole, Stores Manager, GOLDEN DURAWALLS cc.
Unbelievable turnaround - most improved Mathematics student- Mr. Peter James, A-Level Mathematics teacher, Morgan High School.

MOTIVATION SIGNATURE
Give excellence not excuses

-----------
As you may tell, a cover page is like your document map or table of content. Everything on it must therefore have supporting evidence within the body of the CV itself or at least must be easily verifiable.

Keep your cover page to a single page. You may add a bit of graphic designs to spice it up making it more appealing from your competitors'. Also, use of graphics makes the cover page easily distinguishable from the rest of your CV pages and sections. However, avoid making it flowery; for it should maintain its professional appeal.

Microsoft Word 2007 and 2010 come with some good and handy sample cover pages. However, should you feel you need an even sharper cutting edge you may visit, navigate and download some themes at http://r.office.microsoft.com/.

Walter Tsuro is the author of Faith for overcoming life's mysterious hindrances. 
He blogs at www.analysisandcounsel.com - a website whose mission is "everybody making wise decisions".

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print