Surreal Car Moments
by Melissa Martin

We spend a lot of time in our cars. Fortunately, God's angels travel with us. How often do these angels prevent car accidents and help us when we make stupid driving decisions?

Last winter I drove seventy miles in the snow. I'm driving slower than usual and pumping the brakes at a stop sign. The car slides and I fear the oncoming traffic. Quickly, I begin to turn the car into the ditch. The car stops. It is a surreal moment. I am safe.

I go to the parking lot after class. It is a surreal moment when you see a flat tire and you don't have Triple AAA and you're about sixty miles from home. I walk one block and find a man who agrees to change my tire. He refuses to take any money.

I am driving in big city traffic. The steering wheel gets stiff and I sense an emergency situation. I pull off and turn into a side street. The car stops and makes a screeching sound. I realize my cell phone is dead due to an unpaid bill. It is a surreal moment. A police officer pulls up and helps, calls a tow truck, and takes me to school.

I am driving with my spouse. The panel lights blink and the engine sputters. Hindsight, I should have pulled off the road immediately. The steering wheel locks, the engine stops, and the brakes freeze. It is a surreal moment. I hold my breath and coast until the car stops. Within five minutes a highway patrol officer goes by, directs traffic, and calls a tow truck.

I am driving along and glance down to see the red warning light which means my gas-tank is low. How long has this light been on? It's a surreal moment. I am fifteen miles from the nearest gas station. As I pull into a country gas station, the car engine quits.

Two years ago, I was driving to a job interview. It is winter. The alternator light flashes. I pull over and the car battery is unresponsive. I left my cell phone on the charger at home. It is a surreal moment (and a cold moment). I walk to a nearby house and ask to use the telephone.

It is a hot summer day. My daughter and I are driving in town. My warning light is on but I really think I have plenty of gas. Wrong. We ran out of gas. It was a surreal moment. We walk home and get the gas can.

I am driving alone on a country road. I am not speeding. It is a surreal moment when you see flashing lights in your mirror. I was pulled over due to an absent front license plate. No ticket was written, only a warning.

I am driving on a main highway. Suddenly a hairy spider appears on my steering wheel and I freak. It is a surreal moment. By accident and stupidity, I drift into the other lane as I try to kill it. Fortunately, the other lane was empty.

Melissa writes about the God and human connection and condition.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print