Christmas is for Everyone
by Richard L. Provencher

The sky was like a blanket without shadows.

Spencer pulled his wagon faster. A little more speed might get him ahead of what looked like a rainstorm. Splashing rain began to cover his hair. His eyelids seemed heavy and it was hard to see the old road.

He and his sister Diane lived on the far side of town. Home was at the end of this road with mud ruts, and pools of water rising side by side.

Their legs chased each other, send mud splats in all directions.

Not so fast, his sister cried. She was eight, and Spencer was ten. They had gone to buy Christmas gifts for mom and dad. Saving up for something special was fun and now they hurried home.

There was a bushel basket on the wagon. And it was filled up with vegetables. Carrots, potatoes, lettuce, and a few other types jiggled and danced up and down as if they wished to jump from the wagon.

One loaf of bread did as the wagon hit a bump, and fell onto the road.

After bouncing high and low, the paper tore and slices of bread rolled from side to side like cartwheels. And before landing in the ditch a scurry of wings swooped low and grabbed a slice.

One by one bread disappeared from the trail. A family of blue jays quickly headed for a favourite branch to finish off their neat snack.

Spencer and Diane did not notice. They were busy pushing forward through the rain, heads bent low to follow the road. As they hit each bump something else fell out of the basket.

This time a few carrots landed in the mud. But that didnt stop a rabbit from jumping out of the bush. It chomped off a few bites then dived back into the woods, saving some for her little one.

Next came the cabbage rolling down the hill and chased by a doe. This would be a welcome meal for her and a young fawn. She happily returned to the woods her white tail waving good bye.

The children did not even notice all the animals following them as their wagon load of treats kept falling out. By the time the two children got home, the bushel basket was empty. And the surprise for their parents was gone.

At first they sat around the table feeling sad. They tried to be cheerful eating what mom had prepared. Thats alright, she said. When you are in hurry its hard to see everything around you. Besides, I am sure the animals will enjoy your presents.

Yes, dad added. Were also proud of you for saving your money. Imagine, thinking of gifts for family instead of candy for yourselves.

The animals and birds of the forest were indeed thankful. Peeking through each window, they saw Diane begin a prayer of thanks for their Christmas meal. Even though they had no bread or vegetables!

- The End -

2011 Richard & Esther Provencher

Richard enjoys writing poems; many of which have been published in Print and Online. He and his wife, Esther are also co-authors of stories and a print novel. They are "born again" Christians and very busy in their church, Abundant Life Victory International, in Bible Hill, Nova Scotia.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print