Fa-lah or Bah?
by PamFord Davis

The sounds melodically dance upon my tongue, "Fa-lah-lah-lah-lah!" It is a joyous refrain from a familiar Christmas song and one, which I admit, I can sing by rote. That is such a waste. The phrase should not merely be a melody but also restore my Christmas spirit. I love to read between the lines of scripture to discover the emotions of Bible characters and I now perceive the exceedingly great joy of shepherds touched by grace. They rushed to share the good news of the birth of the Savior! (Luke 2:15-17) I think they just may have sung a tune as they traveled.

In stark contrast to a joyous refrain, Ebenezer Scrooge bellowed. "Bah! Humbug!" He had more than a bad temper and indifference to the needs of others; the fictional character had Christmas dementia. He had forgotten both the meaning and the "Messiah" of Christmas. He walked in the steps of King Herod, a wicked man who saw no reason to rejoice at news of the birth of the King of the Jews. "Bah! Humbug!" He was a troubled man. He falsely stated he desired to worship the (Christ) child, when in reality he was planning His demise. (Matthew 2:3-16)

How will others characterize me this Christmas? Will others observe me as one with the sensitivity of the shepherds or the selfishness of Scrooge? My words reveal what my heart holds. If Jesus and His word abide in me, words of praise, worship and rejoicing will surface to reveal faith. "Fa-lah-lah-lah-lah!" Congregations gather with resounding voice. "Joy to the world; the Lord has come!" Scrooge received a change of heart and I can diligently pursue a change in my attitude when I falter. I'm aiming for the high note, "Lah!"

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print