Magnificent Marvin
by Betty Castleberry

"Marvin, come and eat your lunch now."

"Mom, let me blast the aliens first!"

"Young man, this is the second time I've called you."

Eight year-old Marvin pointed the plastic ray gun at an imaginary alien."I'm Magnificent Marvin. Drop your weapon." He then put his own weapon down and reluctantly went to the kitchen.

He took his seat at the table, and his mother leaned down and kissed his cheek. He liked it when his mother kissed him, although some of the kids at school thought it was baby stuff. She poured him some milk. "How's my boy?"

He pushed his lips into a pout. "Mom, I told you, I'm Magnificent Marvin."

"Okay, Magnificent Marvin. Eat your lunch."

He picked up half of his sandwich, and studied it. Then he picked up the other half and stacked them together. He added a few potato chips and topped the stack with a pickle. "I'm Magnificent Marvin, and I'm building a tower to Mighty Milk Mountain." He took a long drink of milk and placed his glass beside the tower.

Two cucumber slices held in front of his eyes made fine goggles. "Mom, look. I'm protecting my eyes from the monster on Mighty Milk Mountain."

His mother couldn't help smiling. "Yes, I see. Now eat your lunch instead of playing with it."

Marvin ate a bite of the sandwich, mostly to please his mother. He eyed the carrot sticks on his plate. What a great fence they would make. He placed them around the glass of milk. A fence would keep the monster from escaping Mighty Milk Mountain.

His mother sighed and shook her head at the ring of carrot sticks around the glass. "Marvin, I made some chocolate cake. If you want a piece, you'd better eat some more."

Marvin munched on a carrot stick and finished half of his sandwich. He hoped it would be enough to buy him a piece of chocolate cake.

"I'm full, Mom."

"Too full for cake?"

"No. Can I have some?"

"All right, I guess you ate enough of your lunch."

"I sure did. I'm Magnificent Marvin." He put his fist in the air and flexed his muscles, smiling triumphantly.

The cake was covered in thick chocolate frosting sprinkled with nuts. He picked off some nuts and scraped the frosting off of the cake. "I'll find the buried treasure, because I'm Magnificent Marvin." He piled the nuts on the bare cake and scooped a mound of frosting over them.

He made sure his mother was watching him. "Here's the treasure." He grinned and plunged his fork into the frosting and retrieved a nut. The cake quickly disappeared.

"Mom, I'm done. I want to go outside, okay?"

She handed him a damp washcloth. "Wipe the chocolate off your face, then you can go. Stay close, you hear?"

Marvin ran out the back door, and climbed the ladder to his slide. He sat at the top, surveying the yard. "This is my kingdom, " he shouted, pointing a finger across the lawn. "All of this belongs to Magnificent Marvin."

He climbed back down the ladder and picked up some small stones. "I can't let the enemy invade my land and steal my diamonds. I have to hide them."

The stones fit perfectly in the drain spout. Marvin crawled under a large bush, and was almost completely hidden there. " This is my jail. If anyone steals my diamonds, I'll throw them in!"

Marvin came out from underneath the bush, and scrambled to the top of the slide again. This time, he came down sliding on his belly. When he reached the bottom, he was nose to nose with a clump of dandelions. He picked a small handful. "The fair damsel would like these, I bet."

Still clinging to the little yellow blossoms, he plucked a small branch from a bush. Jabbing it in the air, he ran to the house yelling, "Charge!"

Once inside, he looked for his mother. She was in the kitchen, doing the dishes. "Mom, look what I got for you."

She turned around to see, wiping her hands on a dish towel. A smile broke across her face, and she gave her son a big hug.

Marvin grinned, and handed the dandelions to her.

"Thank you, sweetie. You really are Magnificent Marvin."

Marvin hugged his mother back, then ran back outside, in search of unicorns.

Copyright  2006 Betty Castleberry

~The author is a retired-early-by-choice RN who lives in Texas with her husband and three parrots.  She has a daughter, step daughter, and five grandchildren.  She is a published author, and loves to write for the Lord. Email her @
[email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print