Wearing My Wellies
by PamFord Davis

"You have to wear your galoshes today." I am a big girl and going to kindergarten. A big yellow school bus will pick me up at the corner. It has been raining and Mom does not want me to get my feet wet and catch a cold. I tie my saddle shoes, step into the black rubber galoshes and buckle them.

The flash back carries me to a distant time of about 57 years, living in Central NY State. I stopped wearing galoshes in my childhood. Boots replaced galoshes and after marriage, I relocated to the Deep South where in most cases all ages wear shoes and tennis shoes. Cowboy boots are a favorite of others. The time machine now takes me back to 1997.

"Granny, I am wearing my Wellies to school!" The setting is England, my husband and I are visiting our daughter and her family, stationed at Lakenheath Air Force Base. Our two young grandsons attend a small school directly behind their British base housing unit and I'll be walking with them to school. Preschooler Matthew is very proud of his little rubber boots.

The Israelites needed no galoshes or Wellies. God kept their feet dry. "By faith they passed through the Red Sea as by dry land, whereas the Egyptians, attempting to do so, were drowned (Hebrews 11:29 NKJ)." Mothers did not scold their children for splashing in puddles; instead, youngsters shuffled their feet, stirred up the dust and scurried across the parted sea!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print