Perfect Ending to a Perfect Day
by Michele Fleming

She stood staring at her reflection as emotion threatened to overtake her. Lacey could not believe that today was the daythe day she was going to marry the love of her life. She had waited for so long and had made so many plans since the day Blake had asked her to be his wife. They had been trying to marry for three years now, the Army always getting in the way.

It seemed every time they would have things ready for "the big day", the Army would decide it was time for Blake to ship out to some God forsaken part of the world. They would have to postpone and begin making plans once again. This time was going to be different, however. This time, nothing was going to stand in the way, not even the thousands of miles that separated them.

Stationed in Germany, Blake wasn't scheduled to come home for another ten months and they just couldn't wait that long. Lacey didn't have another ten months. She was devastated to learn a few short weeks ago that she had stage-four breast cancer. The cancer had already spread to nearby organs and the doctors were calling her situation terminal.

After a few days of tears and calling out to God, Lacey broke down and called Blake. As soon as her words sank in, he took a deep breath and spoke.

"Marry me, Lacey." He said as he gripped the receiver, in an attempt to steady the shaking of his hand.

"Blake, you don't want to marry me now. What kind of marriage would that be? Besides, you are four thousand miles away!" Lacey replied, sounding utterly defeated.

"Babe, I know in my heart that this is a commitment that God wants us to make. We will make it work. You know it as well as I do that this is what God wants. It's what he has always wanted for us to be together."

Through her sobs, Lacey agreed and they get to work making plans. After getting friends and family involved...and the US Army, they manage to set up a ceremony via Skype.

Lacey was still overwhelmed that Blake would want to marry her even though he knew there was no hope for a future together. But here she was, getting ready to walk down the aisle to marry the man that had been there for her years. Now, in her darkest hour, he is reaching across the European continent and the vast expanse of the Atlantic, to be there for her once again.

Lacey took a deep breath, beating back her nerves to a more manageable level, and took one last, long look at her reflection. The dress was "Cinderella" perfect, the chignon she wore in her blonde hair was perfect and walking to the window, she declared the beautiful sunny day was perfect as well.

"Knock, knock" Lucy's father said as he entered the room. "It's time, honey."

Lacey made her way from the room and she and her father walked arm-in-arm toward the sanctuary. Stopping outside the door, her father takes one last look at her, tears filling his eyes. Just then, the music began to play and the doors to the sanctuary opened.

Lacey and her father began their trek down the aisle. Decorated so beautifully, the church overflowed with their family and friends, but Lacey saw nothing. Focused only on the computer perched on the table near the alter, she made her way toward the handsome and smiling face of her husband to be.

Decked out in his Army best, Blake watched as Lacey made her long walk, a brilliant smile never leaving his face. The ceremony began, but Lacey and Blake seemed to be oblivious to it all, never taking their eyes from one anothereach reaching out occasionally to touch the screen before them.

"Signifying the commitment of one to another, we will now witness the giving and receiving of rings."

Suddenly, the computer screen went blank.

"What happened?" Lacey asked with panic filling her voice.

She stood back as different ones worked trying to regain the signal. As she watched them, she caught movement out of the corner of her eye and turned to see Blake walking up the aisle toward her. She covered her mouth with a trembling hand and let out a loud sob, her knees beginning to buckle beneath her.

"You didn't really think I wouldn't be here did you?" Blake teased as he took her in his arms.

Lacy was right...this day was indeed...perfect!

www.micheleflemingauthor.weebly.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print