A Stopping Off Place
by Donna Howard

Scripture Reading: John 14:1-3


A big gray heron visited our creek one day. He didn't stay long. He was just resting. He was on his way to a nearby river where he lives every summer, and our creek made a good stopping-off place. He knew he was going to a far better place.

Some of us are like that heron. If we have accepted Jesus as our Savior, then earth is just a "stopping-off" place for us. Heaven is our real home.

Our Scripture reading tells us that God is preparing a place for us. The Bible calls them mansions. Revelation 21:18-21 tells us the streets and walls are made of gold and adorned with precious jewels, and the gates are made of pearl. Doesn't that sound wonderful?

But even more wonderful will be the glory of God, shining so brightly that there will be no need for the sun or moon. And there will be no sickness or sorrow there. Nothing defiled by sin can enter. Unfortunately, that includes people who have not been cleansed from their sin by the blood of Jesus. No one, whose name is not written in the Book of Life, may enter.

Is your name written in the Book of Life? Is God preparing a place for you? If you have accepted Jesus as your Savior, then your name is in the book, you are saved, and God is preparing a place for you in heaven. If you have never asked Jesus to be your Savior and you would like to, pray this simple prayer:

Dear God: I know that I'm a sinner. I know that Jesus died on the cross to take the punishment for my sins. I'm sorry that I have sinned and I now accept Jesus as my Savior. I will do my best to live for Him. Thank you for preparing a place for me in heaven and that earth is now just a "stopping-off" place for me. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Freelance writer of short stories, devotions, and stories for children & teens. Published in "Christian Parent Magazine," "My Devotions," "Long Story Short Ezine," " Taj Mahal Review," and other publications. Three children and five grandchildren. Lives with husband of 50 years in Orfordville, WI.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print