Romeo . . . Romeo!
by Michele Fleming

Kim couldn't believe she had gotten the lead in the school play. She could barely contain her excitement as she read the cast sheet pinned to the bulletin board. A "nobody" like her was actually going to be playing opposite Lance Miller in Romeo and Juliet! As calmly as possible, she walked away and headed for the restroom and after checking every stall to make sure she was alone, she began her happy dance. Lance had to be the hottest boy in school . . . he certainly was the most popular.

Entering the theatre on the first day of rehearsals, she spotted Lance on stage with Mrs. Baker the director. As she made her way toward them, the sight of him nearly took her breath away. Mrs. Baker turned and spotted her just as she was reaching the stage.

"Ah, there's my Juliet!" She beamed as Kim walked up the steps and made her way over to the both of them. "I trust the two of you know each other."

"Yes, ma'am." They answered in unison and Kim felt her cheeks grow hot at the knowledge that Lance actually knew whom she was.

"Okay then . . . let's get started." Mrs. Baker turned on her heels and motioned for them to follow.

The next several weeks went by in a blur. They had managed to get the entire play down pat except for the kissing scenes. Mrs. Baker wanted those special moments to look real and not rehearsed, so they were going to do them for the first time during the live show. Kim wasn't so sure this was such a good idea, but Mrs. Baker was the director, so surely she knew what she was doing.

Kim had also learned that Lance wasn't the "Knight in Shining Armor" she had thought he was. He had actually turned out to be a very arrogant and obnoxious jerk that was way too full of himself. He could be downright mean sometimes, too. The entire cast and crew had grown tired of his antics rather quickly, each secretly hoping he would get what was coming to him for the despicable way he treated everyone.

Opening night, Mrs. Baker stood before them, going into detail about how the first kiss should go. Lance took in every word with confidence, while Kim could concentrate only on remaining upright. While Lance looked as though he didn't have a care in the world, Kim was so nervous she could hardly breathe. Her palms were sweaty, her pulse raced and her stomach was doing something akin to the jitterbug. If they didn't get this over with soon, she was sure she would throw up.

Mrs. Baker finished her direction and headed off to check on some last minute details, leaving Kim and Lance alone.

"Are you ready for this?" Lance gave her one of his famous little grins.

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"You'll do fine." He said patting her on the back. "After all, you've got the master leading the way." He added a wink and then turned and headed off to get ready for the show.

"What a jerk." Kim thought to herself.

Finally, the time had come. The play began and before she realized it, they were at the kissing part. When Lance leaned in for the kiss, that's when she saw it. Peeking out of the dark, cavernous hole that was his nose, hung the biggest booger she had ever seen! The closer he got, the more she could see it dancing with every breath he took. Right before their lips touched, Kim burst out laughing and pushed him away from her.

The look of total disbelief and complete mortification on Lance's face was too much for Kim. She couldn't control her laughter no matter how hard she tried. Next thing she knew, everyone else in the theatre, including the audience, was rolling in a fit laughter as well. She began trying to clue Lance in on the joke by wiping at her own nose. Instead of taking the hint, he gave her a hateful look and turned to leave the stage. As he walked past the other cast members each gave him the same "wipe of the nose" gesture, but Lance kept on walking, with his nose in the air and booger flapping in the breeze.

Kim doesn't know if he ever caught on or not. All she knows for sure, is from that day on, Lance was a kinder, more humble soul.

www.micheleflemingauthor.weebly.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print