MITTENS
by Richard L. Provencher

It began with two mittens Grandma knitted. "I hope you like them," she said.

When Susan went out to play before lunch she had one on each hand. Nice green mitts with purple and green trim.

Susan and her friend Sally were dressed up in snowsuits. The sun was warm. But the wind was cold.

Warm rays were blown far away.

Both girls walked to the park. They did not have far to go. They could still see their house when they looked back.

Their moms watched from the window.

Susan and Sally were such good friends. They jumped and ran. They made angels in the snow. They drew faces in the snow.

They had so much fun.

It was a special kind of day for good friends.

Then Susan began to cry. "I lost a mitten," she said. "My mom will be very sad." She began to cry again. "What will grandma say?" she asked Sally.

And they looked all over. They looked in one snow pile, and the next one. And another one.

They even dug under all their angel shapes.

Susan's mom and Sally's mom came out of the house. They came to see what was wrong.

It was their turn to check all over. They went from one snow pile to the next, again.

Susan was happy her mom came to help. She even put her two hands over Susan's cold hand. It began to warm up again.

It only tingled for a few minutes.

Then mom gave her own mitt so Susan's hand would stay warm.

She loved her mom. She liked Sally's mom too. It looked like everyone was having fun helping. Then, someone found the lost mitten!

Was it her mom? Was it Sally's mom? No, it was Sally. She was the lucky person.

Susan's mitt was hiding under the snow. It was right under mom's foot.

Her mitten was glad to be found. Now Susan was very happy. She had two mitts the same, again.

Her mother was also happy. Now she could get her own mitten back.

Grandma would be really happy too. These were such special mittens.

Everyone went back to Susan's house for hot chocolate.

And Susan put her mittens to dry by the fireplace. It was such a good time out in the snow. But it was nice and warm in the house.

And the little girl with the found mitten was full of smiles.

* * *

Richard & Esther Provencher

Richard enjoys writing poems; many of which have been published in Print and Online. He and his wife, Esther are also co-authors of stories and a print novel. They are "born again" Christians and very busy in their church, Abundant Life Victory International, in Bible Hill, Nova Scotia.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print