Nip or Two
by PamFord Davis

"She's been known to take a nip from time to time". Don't go down that blind alley. I'm referring to turnips and parsnips! As a New York State native, I really like both members of the nip family. It's been years since I've tasted parsnips but cannot forget their sweet flavor. As I recall, Mom served turnips on special occasions, such as with a festive Thanksgiving dinner.

I do not need to wait for a special occasion. My husband, the type A personality gardener has put his high achiever tendencies into action. He scattered lots of seed, just to be on the safe sideIt was a hot dry summer; the turnips might not even come up. Wrong! The turnip patch seems to be unstoppable.

How can the wife of a vegetarian put a stop to his tenacious green thumb? Can't be done. He harvested one turnip that was the size of a large grapefruit, too bad he didn't enter it in competition! I nearly injured myself trying to peel it. He has volunteered for KP duty and helped with peeling, cutting and slicing. I prepared the nips for the table and freezer.

Necessity is the mother of invention and with a surplus, I've discovered a few turnip tricks. I place wedges of peeled and washed turnips in a large bowl with a small amount of water and place the bowl in the microwave for 15-20 minutes. The turnips melt in your mouth! Last week I noticed how much a raw turnip looks like a raw potato.

My husband likes French fries and home fries, so I wondered if I could fry turnips.Surely, people do. In the south, you can even order fried pickles. I had nothing to lose, just turnips to use. So, I fried turnips. They smelled wonderful while cooking. I do not promote fried foods, but must admit it is another way to serve my nips.

God seeks those willing to serve. "Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing (Psalm 100: 2 NAS)." Hmm "She's been known to serve a person or two from time to time." I'd like to believe that is true. The Holy Spirit gathers them and places them in my life. There is no KP duty; instead, I push up my sleeves and bend my knees.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print