The Way movie
by Dana Chaffin

The Way is available on dvd February 21, 2012. This is a powerful film with a meaningful message of exploration and acceptance. The story in the film is touching and the story behind the making of the movie is just as special. The film is set along the Camino de Santiago, also known as the Way of St. James, and the scenery is gorgeous and inspiring. The Camino is a spiritual journey that pilgrims of all faiths and backgrounds have traversed for over a thousand years. There are several routes to reach Santiago, but the most popular one is the Camino Frances, which crosses the Pyrenees Mountains along the Spanish-French border starting in St. Jean Pied de Port. The route covers approximately 497 miles in which can be hiked, on horseback or biked. But if a pilgrim walked it they can expect to walk 12 15 miles per day to reach the next town by night. At this pace it would take 6 to 8 weeks.

The Way Story
The Way starts with the relationship of a father, Tom Avery, played by Martin Sheen (The American President, Gandhi, Samaritan: The Mitch Snyder Story) and his adult son Daniel, played by Emilio Estevez (Young Guns, The Breakfast Club, The Outsiders), a free spirit and is not understood by his father. Tom is a doctor caught up in living his high society life when he gets the news that his son has died during a storm while walking the Camino de Santiago. Tom travels to retrieve his son's body, but decides to complete his son's journey in hopes to understand him and to pay honor to his memory. On his pilgrimage he meets three others on their own spiritual journey along the trail. How can a Dutchman looking for weight loss, an Irish writer suffering from writer's block, a Canadian divorcee looking to quit smoking and Tom become travel companions? Only on the Camino de Santiago! As each deal with their own self discoveries they find friendship and respect for each other.

The Way was written and directed by Emilio Estevez and he says the film is "pro people, pro life not antianything." Estevez's real life father Martin Sheen is no stranger to making movies appearing in over 65 feature films. The Estevez/Sheen duo has worked together on many films, but this one is close to both their hearts. It was Sheen that actually wanted to walk the Camino de Santiago for years. Finally in 2003 Sheen, a good friend, Matt Clark and his grandson Taylor (Estevez's son) headed to Spain on an impulse. They did not prepare, they just went. They did not have time to walk the trail so they rented a car and drove the route. Along the way, at one of the eating stops Taylor falls in love with the young girl serving them supper. She is the daughter of the owners of the stop and feels the same way about him. They are today, married and live in Spain. Estevez has enjoyed visiting his son there and meeting the pilgrims that pass through the eating stop on the trail. So when his father, Martin Sheen suggested on making a movie there, it was not too hard to come up with the story.

The Way is a moving and entertaining film about discovering your true meaning of life! The movie will have you laughing and crying sometimes at the same time. The story behind the movie is awesome and makes it all that more special when you see the finished film.

Dana Chaffin is a Christian freelance writer and editor of Certain Cinema magazine who has published many articles on faithwriters.com and other Christian websites.  Passionate about Christian film. www.certaincinema.com Email [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print