What is the price of a child?
by Robert Driskell

A recent news report states that, in the near future, children with cancer may not be able to get the life-saving drugs they need (http://www.news9.com/story/16937480/cancer-drug-shortage-puts-okc-childrens-lives-at-risk). Drug manufacturers have stopped making certain cancer combating medicines. The drug maker's reasoning is, "There's a smaller profit margin because many of these drugs have become generic." How much profit does it take to save a child's life?

This story should send chills down the spine of anyone giving it a few moments thought. It appears that sick children are going to be allowed to die because drug makers cannot make as much money as they would like from the drugs these children need.

This is a case of corporate greed killing children. It is as simple, and as horrifying, as that.

Seeing the face of the small child featured in the news story should break people's hearts. However, it should also motivate us to speak up and to act. We must not treat this callousness as acceptable behavior.

What is the moral condition of a nation that will stand by and allow something like this to happen without raising its voice in opposition? The news reports have thus far treated the drug company's actions as business as usual. Should there not be as much outcry over this type of heartless greed-fueled behavior as there is over gay marriage, the placement of the Ten Commandments, or a thousand other things we argue about every day?

It seems that abortion was just the first step toward a society that has no problem putting a price tag on human life. It appears now that terminating a life in the womb is not the only type of child abuse in which we are willing to permit. Now, motivated by the lust for more profit, we will allow the production of life-saving drugs to be discontinued.

The God of this universe has commissioned many of His thoughts to be recorded within the pages of the Bible. Contained within those pages are the stories of several nations who considered their children to be disposable commodities (II Kings 16:3, 17:31, 21:6, 23:10; Jeremiah 32:35; II Chronicles 28:3; Ezekiel 16:21, 20:31). God's judgment on these nations was clear, complete, and unrelenting. The Bible makes clear how God feels about the worth of human life, He sent His Son to die on a cross for us. Additionally, Jesus clearly loved children (Matthew 19:13-15; Mark 10:13-16; Luke 18:15-17).

Will we choose to do the right thing, what God would have us do, or the wrong thing, motivated by our own selfishness? These children are sick, helpless, and in need of our protection. The outcome of this story will be a barometer of the moral climate of our nation. What kind of people will we choose to be?

Seeking to introduce people to Jesus Christ and to help them become "transformed by the renewing of their mind."

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print