Talk to the Shepherd
by PamFord Davis

I remember the first time I heard the sagely advice: "If you have trouble falling asleep, don't count sheep talk to the Shepherd." A nursing home resident confined to a wheel chair shared those words. She believed in him not only as Shepherd, but also as Lord and Savior. Through our church nursing home ministry, she had learned of her need to place her trust in Jesus. She confessed her faith publicly. Men, willing to serve, offered strong backs, lifted the woman from a wheelchair, and lowered her into the church baptistery for baptism by immersion. I will never forget that sight of her going beneath the waters, demonstrating her death to sin and surfacing above to proclaim her new life in Christ!

As Shepherd: Christ provides, leads, comforts, heals, sustains and oh so much more, Jesus our Shepherd beckons from our bedside. "Count your blessings, instead of sheep" is more than a phrase taken from a popular song in "White Christmas." It is rest for the weary. Enumerating our blessings, instead of tossing and turning over our concerns not only lifts our burdens, it brings a peaceful night's sleep. I recently learned there is not only an enumerating of blessings but curses as well. (Deuteronomy 28:15-68). We have freedom of choice. God blesses those who are obedient to his commands. Those who disobey chose curses. "However, if you do not obey the Lord your God and do not carefully follow all his commands and decrees I am giving you today, all these curses will come upon you and overtake you (Deuteronomy 28:15 NIV)."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print