Our Vitals
by PamFord Davis

Medical shows have been a regular part of TV line-ups for a long, long time. My memory takes me way back. Before Richard Boone wore a gun, as Paladin in "Have Gun Will Travel," he wore scrubs as a doctor in the mid 1950's program "Medic." Two fictional physicians made house calls by way of television in the 1960's. "Ben Casey" and "Dr. Kildare" portrayed two very different doctors; both were efficient and dedicated to their calling. Both knew medicine, yet had stark contrasts in their dealings with patients; straight-faced Ben Casey could be brutally frank. Tenderhearted Dr. Kildare had the bedside manner we all yearn for when in need of medical care.

Satan exposes Christ followers to sin on a daily basis. There are constant dangers; all people are susceptible to evils that lurk around us. Even the most faithful can become sin sick and be sidelined until we are exposed to the Son and His healing powers. God calls gifted healers into service, equipping them with medical bag and prescription pad. Wise healers pull out their stethoscope and monitor the heart of a patient. Prescriptions vary but always include regular doses of God's word, prayer and confession. Two of the most essential qualifications of those the Lord uses: availability (must be on call 24-7) and a compassionate bedside manner.

"[My] brethren, if anyone among you strays from the Truth and falls into error and another [person] brings him back [to God]. Let the [latter] one be sure that whoever turns a sinner from his evil course will save [that one's] soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins [procure the pardon of the many sins committed by the convert] (James 5:20 Amplified)." We are well aware of the reality of quacks passing themselves off as licensed medical doctors. They seriously damage the reputation of the profession and may cost the lives of those they deceive. As Christ's body, His church, we need to demonstrate the genuine concern He had for the sick.

Mark recorded Jesus words in Chapter 2, verse 17b. "Those who are strong and well have no need of a physician, but those who are weak and sick: I came not to call the righteous ones to repentance, but sinners (the erring ones and all those not free from sin)." [Amplified] We all catch the common cold from time-to-time and we are all sinners saved by grace. We are on the giving and receiving end of pulse checking. I know Jesus is checking our vitals. Are they stable?

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print