For Goodness Sake
by PamFord Davis

"Well, for goodness sake!" Fifty years ago, we frequently heard women voice this remark as something done or said caught them totally by surprise. They not only used verbal language but also varied types of body language for special emphasis: hands on hips or flat palms on face, shocked expression with eyes wide open, tight lipped with arms folded over chest. I find it interesting that women used the expression for both good and bad news. "She had triplets? Well, for goodness sake!" Smiling, she visualized the bundles of joy. "You say he lost all his money through investments on the Edsel? Well, for goodness sake!" Shaking her head in disbelief, she may have said her common quip, "Well, my, my." I have only one thing to say. "Well, for goodness sake!"

The Psalmist pondered prayed, and penned. "Remember, O Lord, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old. Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake, O Lord. Good and upright is the Lord: therefore will he teach sinners in the way (Psalms 25:6-8 KJV)." His perception is right on target. Children acknowledge God's goodness with heads bowed, hands folded. "God is good; God is great. Let us thank him for our food. Amen." Adults are shocked to see the reverence of toddlers and to hear the perfection of memorized prayer from those who can barely repeat their own names. "Well, for goodness sake!"

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print