Mountaintop Revelaton ( Gideon - Part 3)
by DeAnna Brooks

MOUNTAINTOP REVELATION
(Judges 7)


Ive never really stopped to consider the parallel between Gideons situation in defeating the Midianites with 300 and my own spiritual journey. But lets picture it for a moment. There is something about the western church that lives for retreats, those mountaintop experiences with God. I imagine Gideon was little different. After all, hed just been face-to-face with God and lived, experienced the presence of the Lord leading him from baby steps to no-apologies obedience, closely followed by a two-fold fleece miracle. If this is what living for God is all about, lets have at it.

Cant you imagine Gideons euphoria when next he finds himself on the very mountaintop with 32,000 fighting men, and the enemy on the valley floor below? Oh, the protection the mountaintop affords!

But, wait! Surely thats not Gods voice I hear!

I dont know what words screamed across Gideons mind, but I know what words would be thundering across mine, with my heart following in fast pursuit.

You want what, Lord? You want me to divest myself of all these warriors? Youre going to leave me only how many? Alright! Alright! Im listening. Im learning this obeying thing. At least Ive got the advantage and security of the mountaintop.

You want me to what? To leave the mountaintop? But, Im up here with You, Lord, and the valleys over-run with the enemy! I hear You! I hear You, but Ive got eyes, You know. Youve given them to me, after all. Ok! Ok! Dont trust the eyesight. But, You cant be serious? The valley! You want me in the valley?

But thats the nature of God. To lead us from the mountaintop, where we were never intended to live, and move us into the valley. Its in the valley we discover the fruit of His promises. Its in the valley where the seeds of our faith-ing produce the fruit of the vine. Its the fruit of the vine, when submitted to the winepress, which issues forth the sweet wine of obediences joy.

On the mountaintop were tempted to stand in our own strength, but its in the valley when all we can hope in is Him.

I dont know if it lies within the nature of man to choose the valley over the mountaintop. But I hear this voice, and it seems to be telling me theres a secret Ive yet to learn.

The valley, My Child. The valley. I want you in the valley. Come, with Me, to the valley and see My hand of deliverance at work on your behalf.




DeAnna Brooks
April 2005

DeAnna Brooks (December 5, 2007)

Having raised four children, I live now in Texas. Mostly my writing is a sojourn with God.  I find myself ever planted in Eden, glorying in its abundant and rich communion with the Almighty. Or, I am looking back, with longing. And the sojourn continues.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print