Choosing a Successor
by Wangari Murathe

"But commission Joshua, and encourage and strengthen him, for he will lead this people across and will cause them to inherit the land that you will see." Deuteronomy 3:28

Some leaders find it difficult to contemplate succession. Queen Elizabeth said," The name of a successor is like the tolling of my own death-bell!"
Many rulers and leaders in business appear to think that they have superior wisdom and nobody else can fill their shoes. As a result they fail to mentor and train possible successors. They work day and night and handle all the important decisions, with no or little delegation therefore leaving others without experience. They fear that if they give others a chance they will be outshone and overtaken. However, the way of the human being is that they grow old, they need to retire, and they eventually die.

It is good to ensure that you leave a good crop of possible successors wherever you are and whatever you do. Given the rapidly evolving world, it is possible that different times call for a different sort of knowledge and method of operation to take the ministry, country or business to the next step.
Moses was initially a reluctant leader and through him God worked many miracles to free the people from Egyptian bondage, provide them with food and water in the desert and to provide direction. His successor Joshua was prepared by Moses and was required to be more of a military strategist to ensure his people's forceful occupation of Canaan.
While Elijah was a fiery, unyielding, lonely prophet, his successor Elisha was gentle and persuasive but just as effective.

Do not leave a vacuum; consider the future generations and prepare to pass on the baton.

*****
If at first you do not succeed, your successor will.
*****

Copyright Wangari Murathe. All rights reserved.
Wangari Murathe has a passion for inspiration and empowerment through Christian writing. Visit  http://www.faithfood.net/  for more Daily Devotionals and inspirational Christian stories and articles. She can also be contacted at [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print